Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Brown rice bisibela bath/ Brown rice in lentil and vegetable stew

I read this book "vegetarian" and found very useful information and facts about each food we eat. Most of the Asians/Indians whose staple food is rice, follow certain menu in the daily diet passed on by our elders and  which unknowingly suited our health and did no harm . In the present days even children are conscious about health and how they look. Here are some facts which I would like to share from what I read. We are often told to eat a balanced diet,but in the context of a vegetarian diet what does this mean? The key to good health is to eat a variety of foods that provide the proportion of protein, carbohydrates, fibre, fat, vitamins and minerals as well as water. Vegetarians need to ensure they eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, legumes,nuts, seeds, rice,bread,pasta and potatoes and some dairy foods.
A useful guide for nutrient rich foods  are whole grains and potatoes (aim for 6-11 servings a day),fruits and vegetables (aim for atleast 5 servings a day),legumes nuts and seeds(2-3servings a day),dairy foods (2-3 servings a day) and fats,sweets and snacks should be eaten sparingly.
I attempt to follow the above to maximum extent using many vegetables with green, orange,red and yellow in colour  and leafy vegetables in our daily preparations. One such attempt is the result of this weekend preparation which had all in one dish.
In the whole grains catagory is the brown rice which contain the most nutrients and provide starchy carbohydrates, fibre,protien, Bcomplex vitamins and minerals.It is highly recommended now-a days specially for rice eaters who cannot give up rice, to have brown rice in place of white.The cooking of this rice requires some care and normally it is advised to soak the rice long before it is cooked. I tried cooking this several times in different modes. I finally decided to soak it minimum 8 hours after rinsing and cook with the water soaked. It is not liked by all in the family but when made like a One Dish Meal, it is consumed by all.
Whenever I want to use brown rice, I decide to do this One Dish Meal - Bisi Bela Bath. By doing so I not only use the brown rice, but am happy that  I provide my family all nutrients packed in this One Dish Meal which is very yummy.
Bisibela bath which is Karnataka special is prepared in different ways.I have tasted  an authentic one, prepared by my canadiga friend, and I also tried the way my mother does in iyengar style.I have many recipes which I watched in Live Tamil channels and made a note of them. One famous chef in his programme told to use only pearl onions and to use sesame oil alone while cooking this recipe.
I recently prepared this dish following " Panchpakwan" blog post during March'11.The dish requires home made or store bought bisibela bath powder. Since I had this powder made at home I used it. The ingredients used were almost same with slight variation in quantity. I am posting the Bisibela bath powder ingredients here.

BISI BELA BATH POWDER (home made)

INGREDIENTS
Corianderseeds/ dania1 palmful
Red chili8 no
Fenugreek/methi seeds1/2 tsp
asafoetida1/4 tsp
Pepper2 tsp
Cumin1 tsp
Dry coconut 1 piece
Curry leaves10 twigs
Split chick pea/chana dhal4 tsp
Red gram/tuwar dhal4 tsp
Split black gram/Uradh dal2 tsp
Roast all the above ingredients one by one in little oil/ghee and coarsely powder and store in an airtight container. This powder can be used as per the measure required in the rice recipe.




 For the  rice recipe here is the link.

http://panchpakwan.blogspot.com/2011/03/brown-rice-bisi-bele-bath-bbb.html

 The grainy texture of the brown rice was covered by the dhal/lentils and vegetables and made it look mushy which is the normal texture of this dish.Thanks to the blogger for posting a healthy and tasty recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment