Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yellow Rice

This rice recipe which was popular in our house, when I was unmarried, has got many sweet memories to recall.It was a  Sunday- special for the evening tiffin I should say.My mother used to allow me to make this for all of us. We named it Yellow Rice then.The secret ingredient was not any other thing, than the "MAGGI CUBES". It was in early 80's,when this product was known to us.It is a simple rice with the usual onion and garlic similar to pulao.
The maggi cubes are added to give extra flavour, and with an addition of turmeric powder it gives colour to the rice like lime rice.All of us will have it together, while the rice is still hot with Raita/Curd as a side dish.The enjoyment was unique when brothers and sisters were together without any big responsibility to shoulder.
Even in hotels we have either Jeera rice or Ghee rice.The yellow rice which I make, is similar to jeera/cumin rice.While packing lunch box for my children, I used to make either garlic rice or this Maggi rice. This can be made with the left over rice too.
This is a different occasion now to prepare this yellow rice.I first made Side dish with channa, for rotis.Same evening, when side dish was left, I thought of making this hot rice to have with channa.I am posting the rice dish and also the channa recipe which I made following Mallika Badrinath's book.

INGREDIENTS

Rice1 cup
Onion1 no
Garlic cloves3 no
Maggi cubes2 no
Oil3 tsp
Turmeric powder1 tsp
Saltto taste



METHOD
Cook rice separately  and see that the grains are separate when cooked.
Allow the rice to cool.
Heat oil in a pan,add finely chopped onion and garlic and saute.
Crush the maggi cubes to powder, with fingers and add to the pan. (The maggi masala cube can be increased as per your taste)
Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
Add the cooked rice and saute well.
Remove and serve hot with tomato raita or with any masala gravy.
The channa masala which can be made quickly goes very well with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment